The Penshurst Union was established in April 1835 and existed until September 1836 when the six parishes comprising the Union were transferred to the Sevenoaks Union.
PARISHES WITHIN UNION
A new Union Workhouse was built at Bough Beech, Chiddingstone but was sold in January 1839 following the dissolution of the Union.
Only a small portion of the buildings now remain and are privately owned.
BURIAL OF INMATES DYING IN THE WORKHOUSE
The normal practice for persons dying in the Workhouse was for them to be removed to their parish of settlement (if within the Union) for burial or in the parish where the Workhouse was situated, which for the Penshurst Union was Chiddingstone. If a person died in an institution which was situated out of the Union’s area they were normally buried in the parish of that institution.
BAPTISM OF CHILDREN BORN IN THE WORKHOUSE
The Baptism of children born in the Union Workhouse would normally only take place under exceptional circumstances unless the licence given to the Chaplain of the Workhouse included permission to carry out baptisms in the Workhouse Chapel. Baptisms could also take place in the parish church closest to the Workhouse, in this case Chiddingstone, or the parish of settlement.
INMATES RECEIVED FROM OTHER UNION WORKHOUSES
INMATES SENT TO OTHER UNION WORKHOUSES
Inmates removed to Sevenoaks Union Workhouse after September 1836.
LOCATION OF SURVIVING UNION RECORDS
Kent History and Library Centre, Maidstone, Kent
DOCUMENTS WHICH HAVE BEEN TRANSCRIBED
SEE “LIST OF SURNAMES”